Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Street Fighter 4: aka "The return to childhood"


First.... Stop reading this and go buy the game. Seriously. I'll wait. Now, open the box and get that "new game" smell. Breathe deep and remember back to popping in that SFII cartridge into your SNES for the first time. This will not be the first time that you will have this feeling.

I have not played a game that is so beautiful to look at that could take me back to times sitting up all night with my buddies, mouths agape, beating the living hell out of one another. I instantly felt at home with this game. The technical aspect is nearly perfectly redone. I could even use all of the old combos I used to be able to do. The timing is a *little* off, but nothing like the abominations that came in between SFII and SFIV.

As far as the visuals... amazing. I can almost see Capcom throwing down the gauntlet when they started dreaming up this game. "Hey! Everyone else is doing remakes of old games, lets blow them away!" And... they did. From 10,000 feet away, the game looks and feels the same as it always did. Up close, it is just stunning. People's clothes move independently of their bodies, hair is free-moving, character's faces keep locked on to their opponents, and special moves are just... special.

The music is updated, but definitely grabs its roots from those old-school 16-bit riffs. Sound effects are subtle, but impressive. It actually took me about 5 minutes into the intro to realize that the music was the original track, just updated; and it is wonderful.

Gameplay? Perfect. I get the same feelings I did back in the day when I broke so many controllers getting pissed off at the CPU opponents. The same mix of finesse and technically. If you've ever played a (good) Street Fighter game, you'll be both right at home and blown away.

Amazing.

5 comments:

MacDork said...

Amen, brotha.

While I don't share the same feelings of nostalgia that you do, I have to say that it's by far the best fighting game I've played in a long, long time.

Having spent my first-ever time with the CPU single player arcade mode, I have to say that it's way way harder to play the CPU than another person.

This is gonna take a while to get my head around -- I can't wait!

Steve D. said...

You two guys made me run out and impulse buy SF4! (thanks :D)

JohnBoy said...

Pfft! You act like we twisted you arm, and you *didn't* want to buy the game. sukka.

Steve D. said...

Yeah, guilty as charged! I've been thinking about buying it for a while now. I played for 3-4 hours last night and unlocked all characters except for Seth. It's a damn fun game! JB send me an invite on XBL: penut

JohnBoy said...

Will do man. Seth pisses me off... I had to bitch about him in another post.