Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brush with Death

Gotcha with that title, didn't I? In reality, it was more like an instant of 'holy crap'. With your interest piqued (it is, right?) I'll commence with the story.

This past Saturday, the wife and I decided that our shutters on the house needed a fresh coat of paint. Our mailbox was tired and needed to be replaced, as well. So, we decided to take the day and fix both of them.

Around 10am we went to the local Home Depot to pick out some colors for the shutters and the new black mailbox that we bought. We had picked out a basic mailbox with the intent of painting it to match... blah blah blah who cares? You still haven't heard my 'holy crap' moment.... I'm getting there. Flash to 11:30, and I'm pulling down the shutters for the wife to clean, and then together we paint.

I had pulled down about 5 out of 10 of the shutters when something that can only be described as 'weighty' crawled quickly on to my hand. Instantly identifying the shape, I whipped my hand to shake it free. Heart pounding, I raced inside to grab a container to catch it (I'm such a kid) and examine it to find out if it was what my mind thought it was.

Yes. My late night sessions watching Animal Planet and paying attention in school (yes, I did occasionally do that) paid off. That black 'weighty' thing that crawled on my hand was a black widow. Surprisingly, I had my 'holy crap' moment; it wasn't a holy-crap-my-pants though.

I lived, and so did my little killer. I took the pictures, then walked it up the street a bit, then deposited it in one of the storm drains on the street.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeebus.

After the shock of the "I could've just died" wears off, (safely) examining a live black widow is fascinating. It's stunning just how black they are. And SHINY!

Good to know she didn't get you, man. Srsly.

JohnBoy said...

I don't think I have ever seen anything that was a deeper, more perfect black, in nature... ever.